Gun violence in the US is an enormous downside. The statistics are alarming. Yearly, tens of hundreds of individuals in the US are killed or injured due to weapons (homicides, suicides and mass shootings).
The Facilities for Illness Management (CDC) lists firearms because the main trigger of dying amongst youngsters and adolescents within the US. Latest mass shootings in Buffalo, Uvalde, Tulsa and elsewhere have as soon as once more introduced the controversy on gun management to the forefront of American politics although the issue has existed for years.
March For Our Lives
March For Our Lives is a student-led motion that’s attempting to deal with this downside. Based after the 14 February 2018 capturing at Marjory Stoneman Douglas Excessive Faculty in Parkland, Florida that left 17 lifeless and 17 injured, March For Our Lives demonstrates and advocates in assist of gun management laws.
In 2019, March For Our Lives launched a video of a brief, however highly effective speech to boost consciousness about gun violence and its impression on college students. Not too long ago, the video has been circulating once more on social media. You may watch it under. Following the video, I give my evaluation of what makes it such an incredible speech.
There’s a lot to love about this speech.
- The speaker was launched earlier than coming “on stage” and her experience highlighted. It’s all the time finest to have somebody introduce you, if potential. That means, you don’t should say something about your self and you may leap proper into the speech.
- The truth that Kayleigh, the speaker, was a younger scholar, was fully sudden. Being sudden is a robust solution to be memorable.
- Kayleigh’s opening line at 0:30 – “If there was an energetic shooter, you’d all be lifeless.” – grabbed the complete consideration of everybody in that room. You need to hook your viewers along with your opening, and Kayleigh did simply that.
- She enunciated her phrases and paused effectively.
- Kayleigh made glorious eye contact.
- She had good physique language, particularly demonstrating how you can crouch down on the bathroom if you’re within the washroom (1:05).
- Kayleigh used nice vocal selection, particularly from 1:12 to 1:27 with the repetition of “Bang! Bang! Bang!” and at 1:53 when she sang that haunting college tune about lockdowns.
- “Bang! Bang! Bang!” is an instance of the highly effective rhetorical machine, epizeuxis.
- Kayleigh used the phrase “you” or “your” 21 instances when talking in regards to the viewers. She used the phrase “we” 5 instances when talking about her expertise at college. “You”, “we” and “I” are three key phrases for each speaker.
- Although technically not a part of the speech, the video accommodates a surprising statistic at 1:57 about how 95% of public college youngsters apply lockdowns.
- The speech had a transparent message about what to do in case you ever end up in an energetic shooter state of affairs.
You may see the impression that Kayleigh had by trying on the faces of the individuals in her viewers. Let’s hope that her speech, together with the efforts of so many others, helps to result in significant, wise gun management laws in the US.
Picture courtesy of March For Our Lives